Saturday, June 19, 2010

Very Busy Days

Hey, little guy, I can't believe how busy I have been since school got out. I thought I'd have some down time once school was out and I didn't have to sub.

Right after I finished proctoring exams, I had to go to St. Louis with your Aunt Peggy and Great Grandma for your Great Aunt Peggy's funeral. Aunt Peggy was very special to me...she was my godmother and my father's sister. She was 90 years old and had lived a very long, good life, but we were all sad that she is gone.

It had been years since I have been in St. Louis, so we took advantage of the free time we had there to do a little touring. We saw the house we lived in when I was a very little girl and we saw the schools that I attended in kindergarten and 1st grade. We also saw the school that my sister Peggy attended in kindergarten. Even though we did not move, she and I did not go to the same school for kindergarten.

 This is the house we lived in until early 1957

 This is the cool playground at Lee Hamilton Elementary 
School, where I went to Kindergarten

 This is the sign in front of the school where
Aunt Peggy went to Kindergarten

This is the back of the school where I went to 
first grade. It used to be called St. John and James,
but now it is Mother Teresa of Calcutta

When we were in St. Louis, we were able to see all 9 of Great Aunt Peggy's children. It had been so long since we have seen them!! It was very good to reconnect with our extended family.

 The boys and Ginny smoking Stogies

Shelley and Peggy

Kelly, Kathy and Sarah

Your Papa wants to make sure that I tell you that when we were in St. Louis, we ate lunch at Rigazzi's on the Hill and had frozen concrete's at Ted Drewe's twice!! Your Great Grandma LOVED Ted Drewes and wanted to go back for "dinner" the last night we were in St. Louis. Those concrete's were our dinner both times we went, so we weren't as bad as we could have been. We wanted to bring your Papa a frozen custard, but couldn't figure out how to get it all the way back here, so he had to settle for a Ted Drewes t-shirt. Some day we will take you to the Hill and to Ted Drewes...I know that you will love the Italian food and frozen custard!!

The day after we returned from St. Louis, Papa and I left for LA. It was very hot, but we picked almost 50 pounds of blueberries while we were there. Your Papa LOVES blueberries and eats them every day. We do think that we have picked enough to last us until the 2011 blueberry season.

 Fun at DeeDee and Papa's house

We finally got to spend some time with you the day after we got home. DeeDee came and picked you up from your house and you came over to visit and have dinner with DeeDee and Papa. It was so good to see you!! We really enjoyed our visit. When we took you back to the house, you gave Papa his Father's Day card and gift since you are spending this weekend in South GA with your Daddy and Grandaddy. We will miss you, but I'm sure that you will have a wonderful visit. Have a safe trip and we will see you when you get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment